Most women use dry shampoo on a near daily basis. It can give your hair volume, height, structure, and eliminate the appearance of greasiness. At the same time, however, certain dry shampoos contain chemicals and ingredients that can cause hair loss.
What Ingredients are in Most Dry Shampoos?
Dry shampoos are mostly made up of alcohols, starch, and clay, which are all great absorbers of grease and dirt. Over using dry shampoos, however, can really lead to a build-up of grim and dirt on your scalp, damaging the hair. A lot of the time, dry shampoos are also pumped full of chemicals that can damage more than just your hair, but your health as well.
Some of the damaging ingredients found in many dry shampoos are:
- Talc is oftentimes put in dry shampoos because it is great at absorbing oil and grease from your hair and giving the illusion of freshly washed locks. It has, however, been found to sometimes contain asbestos fibres, which are incredibly harmful to humans and can cause respiration issues.
- Phenoxyethanol is oftentimes used in products to help increase their shelf-life and fight off bacteria. However, it has also been shown by studies to cause reproductive issues, and it can potentially cause cancer.
- Aluminium is actually toxic for humans. Using products like dry shampoo can cause a build-up of aluminium in the body, which can lead to a whole host of issues, including infertility, seizures, and heavy metal poisoning.
- Propane is a type of liquid gas that is derived from petroleum. It helps the product spray out of an aerosol can. It has, however, been linked to issues like non-reproductive system organ toxicity, allergies and respiration irritation.
- Similar to propane, Butane is considered incredibly harmful to human health and can also cause respiration issues, allergies, and irritation the body. Definitely avoid using any products that contain butane to look after your hair and your overall health!
How does Dry Shampoo Work?
Rather than cleaning your hair, dry shampoos include ingredients like starch or alcohol that actually absorb grease and oil which makes your hair look cleaner. However, over using dry shampoo as a one fix wonder can lead to damage and potential breakage. Your hair needs to be kept clean and if you are replacing good quality shampoo and water with dry shampoo, your hair will become damaged very quickly, and potentially begin to fall out.
Does Dry Shampoo Cause Hair Loss?
A lot of the time, when used in excess, dry shampoo can cause hair loss. It is a tacky, sticky substance that can quickly build up around the root of your hair. This is not only damaging to your hair follicles, but it also means that a lot of the time hairs that were trying to fall out naturally get stuck to your scalp in this sticky mess. You should definitely make sure that you use dry shampoo in moderation and make sure you are also shampooing your hair often. If your hair is oily, greasy, and dirty, try and wash it instead of using dry shampoo as a quick fix!
How to Stop This?
Limiting your use of dry shampoo is the best way to ensure that you do not face a huge build-up of dry shampoo at the root of your hair, inhibiting growth and potentially causing hair loss. Try using dry shampoo twice a week at the maximum and make sure that you are shampooing and cleaning your hair twice a week at a minimum. This will make sure that your roots are kept clean and there is a limited amount of dry shampoo build up.
Hair Growth Shampoo, Conditioner, and Supplements
If you are noticing hair loss, and you use an excessive amount of dry shampoo, why not opt for our hair growth shampoo, that will not only deep clean your hair and scalp, but also stimulate the growth of new hair. Kera Health follicle shampoo and conditioner is clinically proven to stimulate hair growth and repair damage using specialist ingredients like KerCysteine, biotin, and coconut oil. Start your hair growth journey with us today!
TAKE THE RIGHT AMOUNT OF VITAMINS FOR YOUR HAIR
Formulated to help fill gaps in women's diets.*SHOP KERAHEALTH HAIR