The Science Behind Hair Growth Shampoo and Other Products
There are some major issues that can come with having short/thin hair. You are more likely to get sunburnt on your scalp, your hair is more likely to greasy much quicker and it can make it really hard to style!
Hair loss, however, is a natural part of life for both men and woman. According to a study done by the US National Institute of health, hair loss affects up to 40% of women over 50 and 80% of men.
However, hair growth shampoo, hair growth conditioner and hair targeted supplements are tools to strengthen, thicken and reduce hair loss.
How Do Hair Growth Shampoos Actually Work?
Hair growth shampoos can be absolutely amazing for thickening your hair and stimulating hair growth. It’s really important to look at the ingredients and the concentrations included in hair growth shampoos in order to make sure you are using products that contain ingredients suited to treating the reason behind your hair loss. Menthol, caffeine and peppermint are some ingredients that can help boost circulation to the scalp which can help stimulate hair growth. Protein is the building block of hair and so adding protein to your strands and scalp can really combat hair loss. Drug free shampoos work to clean and create a healthy scalp by using substances that have been proven to stimulate hair strength and growth and drug based shampoos will include chemicals like follicusan and trichogen to support the hair growth process.
Types of hair growth shampoo and conditioners
There are two main types of hair growth shampoos and conditioners, drug-based and drug-free. Drug based shampoos and conditioners contain substances regulated by drug authorities to ensure that they work well and actually combat hair loss, whereas drug free hair growth shampoos and conditioners contain all natural ingredients. There are definite advantages and disadvantage to both of these types of hair growth shampoo and conditioners.
There are advantages and disadvantages to both drug based and drug free hair growth shampoos and conditioners. Drug based hair growth solutions can really stimulate hair growth and strength, but may not necessarily be the best long term solution. Here are the advantages and disadvantages!
- Drug based shampoos are known for working much quicker than natural solutions
- They have been shown to be effective in stimulating hair growth
- They have also been shown to thicken your hair
- Side Effects – Drug based shampoos can have some bad side effects, especially if you have a sensitive scalp or skin in general.
- Decreased Sex Drive
- Once you stop using them, you might see hair loss
Drug free shampoos are great for stimulating fresh hair growth and keeping your scalp clean and healthy. They use natural ingredients, and don’t use sulfate and Parabens in shampoo to boost and stimulate hair growth and ensure that your hair is nourished with natural oils and kept healthy.
- Natural oils have been shown to be really effective in stimulating hair growth
- Limited side effects because all ingredients are natural
- The effects are long lasting
- They are less potent and may work slower than drug based shampoos
- They are not always approved by the health authorities because they are based on natural products
Types of Hair Growth Supplements
There are different types of hair growth supplements that target different issues that you may be experiencing. It is important that you first identify why you are experiencing hair loss or your hair thinning. If you are struggling with alopecia, hair supplements that contain ingredients like Biotin, Vitamin A and B-Vitamins are really important. If you are struggling with hair loss due to aging or stress, supplements like those created by KeraHealth are amazing. They contain ingredients like KerCysteine that can help revitalise the keratin your body loses over time due to age and stress, which helps to stimulate hair growth.
Vitamins and Minerals
Vitamins and minerals that are great for hair growth are:
- Biotin – Biotin is a vitamin that stimulates hair growth and strengthen the hair strand
- Vitamin A – Vitamin A helps to stimulate the creation of sebum which is an oily substance that helps to keep you scalp and hair strands healthy.
- Vitamin E – Vitamin E has antioxidant properties that helps to keep the scalp healthy.
- Zinc – Zinc helps to keep the oil glands around the scalp functioning which in turn helps to keep the hair follicle healthy, which stimulates hair growth.
- Iron – Iron helps to boost circulation and helps to carry oxygen to your hairs roots, which can boost hair production and growth.
There are lots of dietary growth supplements that you can take in order to increase the speed at which your hair grows. Making sure you have the right levels of vitamins and minerals in your body is really really important because it research has shown that a deficiency in vitamins and minerals can cause hair loss. If you are unsure of whether or not you are getting enough vitamins and minerals through your diet, it is a good idea to see your doctor and potentially start taking dietary supplements if necessary, as these contain loads of proteins, minerals and vitamins that can boost your immunity as well as hair growth.
Hair growth specific pills
There are hundreds of different hair growth specific pills or supplements that you can take. Here are a few of our favourites:
- KeraHealth Hair Women – KeraHealth Hair Women contains ingredients that help to reduce hair loss, stimulate dormant hair follicle regrowth, increase the speed of hair growth, and increase hair strength.
- Nutrafol – Nutrafol helps to improve hair thickness and strength using medical-grade, natural ingredients.
- Viviscal – Viviscal is a hair supplement that helps to promote hair regrowth and scalp health.
- Ouai – Ouai hair supplements have been clinically proven to increase the strength and the speed at which your hair grows.
How do hair growth supplements work?
Different hair growth supplements work in different ways. Different minerals and vitamins target different issues. Depending on why you are suffering from hair loss, whether it be alopecia, aging or stress, your body needs different supplements to help with hair regrowth. Hair growth supplements like those made by KeraHealth, are clinically proven to increase the thickness and strength of your hair, as they contain key ingredients like high levels of keratin, biotin and other vitamins and minerals.
How to Choose a Hair Growth Shampoo and other products
Choosing a hair growth shampoo or conditioner or hair growth supplements that work for you is very important. Different types of hair growth shampoo/supplements contain different minerals and vitamins that target different issues. Therefore, researching and understanding what your hair type is and what it needs is key to ensuring that they effective for you!
The ingredients that are contained in hair growth shampoos and supplements are very important, as they target different things. The most common ingredients that are found in hair supplements and that are really effective in treating hair loss are:
- Biotin – Biotin is a vitamin that stimulates the production of keratin in your hair and can increase the rate of follicle growth. Hair growth supplements or shampoos that contain Biotin are great for increase hair thickness, length, and strength.
- Keratin – Keratin is a protein that is naturally found in your hair. Adding supplements that contain Keratin can really strengthen your hair and actually thicken the hair strand itself, which is why it is a great ingredient for hair growth.
- Folic Acid – Folic Acid can help to maintain cortisol levels which control the hair cycle. It also is a key component of your hair and nails naturally and is responsible for hair growth. Finding a shampoo or supplement with folic acid in it can really help to strength and lengthen your hair.
- Vitamin A – Vitamin A helps the body make sebum which is an oily substance that helps to maintain the health of your scalp and therefore your hair follicles. Supplements that contain Vitamin A can really help to increase the thickness of the hair strand and keep your scalp healthy.
- Vitamin E – Vitamin E has been found to help with hair growth (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3819075/) by reducing oxidative stress in the scalp which has been linked to hair loss. Its antioxidant properties have also been shown to help with overall scalp and hair health.
Are They Free of Chemicals?
Some hair growth shampoos contain chemicals and sulphates that can be really harmful to your hair. However, a lot of good quality hair growth shampoos and supplements do not contain chemicals because a lot of the time they can cause more harm than good. They can actually cause damage to the hair strand and follicle, weakening your hair rather than boosting its growth. Try to find a hair growth shampoo, like the ones we produce at KeraHealth, that is free from chemicals, to optimise growth.
Comprehensive shampoo is often times the best kind of shampoo to use because it really focuses on all aspects of your hair health. They contain ingredients that ensure that your scalp is kept healthy, ingredients to strengthen your hair strands and ingredients to stimulate hair regrowth. Overall, it ensures that you scalp is in the best condition to facilitate hair growth, which is key.
If you do have any allergies or you have sensitive skin, it is important to stay away from shampoos that contain sulphates because they can really irritate the skin and rather than promoting hair growth, you may notice some hair loss. If you use a new shampoo or take a new supplement and notice a rash or any signs of an allergic reaction, you should stop using the product immediately and contact a doctor.
Start your Hair Journey Today!
If you have thin hair or have noticed hair loss due to aging, and you want a solution, products like those made at KeraHealth could be the answer. Hair growth shampoo and conditioner, paired with hair growth supplements have been shown to really boost and strengthen your hair. Visit our website to see the products available, and how we might be able to help you!
TAKE THE RIGHT AMOUNT OF VITAMINS FOR YOUR HAIR
Formulated to help fill gaps in women's diets.*SHOP KERAHEALTH HAIR