What COVID-19 has Taught us About… Health!
The Coronavirus was declared a pandemic on the 11th of March 2020 and has since wreaked havoc on the world in a many different ways. Schools closed, offices closed, construction stopped, and busy streets became ghost towns… But what have we learnt from this small, but dangerous virus about our health?!?
How has Coronavirus Affected our Daily Health?
Coronavirus has taught us many things about how important it is to stay in good physical health as well as ensure that we take care of our mental health.
Staying in good physical health means ensuring you eat well, exercise, and get between 8-10 hours of sleep a night. In order to really maintain your physical health, you need to make it your lifestyle. You have to remember, that you are literally, what you eat! This year, maintaining your physical health has been more important than ever, as what you put into your body can help to ensure your immune system is working at its fullest capacity and you remain resistant and able to fight off coronavirus.
Physical health is one thing, but your mental health is just as important. Maintaining a healthy lifestyle is the first step to ensuring that your mental health stays in check, but sometimes our mental health needs a bit more attention and is not as simple as eating well!! Lockdown was lonely for pretty much everyone… People are social creatures and need different environments and relationships in order to thrive. BUT, as well all know, that wasn’t possible in lockdown!!
Lots of people have found that lockdown and coronavirus have caused them to become irritable more quickly than usual, more stressed, it has increased levels anxiety, and heightened feelings of being out of control. These things are normal but can be really difficult to cope with.
Creating a routine for yourself, ensuring you get enough sleep, practicing mindfulness, and staying connected to others using social media/zoom/facetime calls, can all be helpful in reducing struggles with mental health and help you feel less alone in this precarious and incredibly stressful time. Remember to check in on your family and friends because they too might be struggling!!
Which Immunity Boosters will keep your Immune System in Fighting Shape?
Now, possibly more than ever before, might be the most important time to make sure you’re keeping your immune system in tip top shape! By ensuring you have a varied and healthy diet, you are giving your immune system all the nutrients it needs to thrive, but here are some supplements that can help give you some extra protection!
1. Vitamin A
- Vitamin A is really important for regulating the immune system, fighting off infections by keeping your tissues healthy, and ensuring respiratory health.
- You can find it in yellow vegetables, eggs, liver oil, and green leafy vegetables.
- Vitamin C is key for creating antibodies to fight off infections and keeping viruses out!
- You can find it in citrus fruits (oranges, lemons, limes), broccoli, tomatoes, and red peppers.
3. Vitamin E
- Vitamin E is important for protecting cells from damage caused by free radicals and it also acts as an antioxidant.
- You can find it in nuts, seeds, vegetable oils, and green leafy vegetables.
4. Vitamin D
- Vitamin D is vital for keeping your bones and your teeth strong
- You can find it in red meat, oily fish, and egg yolks and it also helps to fight off infections!
- Zinc is essential for fighting off infections and without it you will have immune dysfunction – so it is very important for protecting yourself from coronavirus!
- You can find it in beans, nuts, red meat, chicken, nuts, and whole grains.
- Protein is vital for the creation of antibodies so in order and for a high functioning immune system you obviously need antibodies to fight off infections!!! So if you are a vegan or vegetarian, you still need to ensure you’re getting enough proteins!
- You can find protein in all meat, eggs, tofu, lentils, and in legumes
What Wellness Hacks have we Learnt from Coronavirus?
Though Coronavirus has been so problematic in so many ways, we have learnt a thing or two about wellness and self-care from all the time we’ve had on our hands, so here are our 4 top hacks!
- The importance of creating a routine – this is so important to ensure you feel like you’re being productive and getting stuff done! It should include some work, exercise, time to eat, to practice self-care, time for reflection and practicing mindfulness, and time for doing the things you love – whether that’s putting your favorite TV show on or reading a good book!!
- Being Mindful – make sure you take time out of you day to sit down and have a conversation with yourself about how you’re feeling physically, mentally, and spiritually. Being self-aware is important for your mental health and doing this for 10 minutes every day ensures that you’re not putting too much pressure on yourself and makes you get in touch with how you’re really feeling!
- Self-Care – practicing self-care is just as important as being mindful! Coronavirus has been stressful so make sure you’re being gentle with yourself. Factor time into your day for self-care – whether that’s taking a candle lit bath or going for a run to decompress, or journaling to get your feelings and thoughts down on paper.
- Set Short and (or) Long Term Goals – and write them down! Once you complete them, check them off the list and reward yourself in some way! This will motivate you to work towards the things you want to get done in a day, week, month or a year – and once you get them done, you’ll feel so accomplished!